DAAD Research Ambassadors are scholars and scientists in North America who have conducted advanced long-term research projects in Germany and are interested in promoting research in Germany at their home universities and among their peers and students.
The main responsibility of a DAAD Research Ambassador is to promote research opportunities in Germany in his/her professional community, university or organization, and discipline.
This can take the form of:
- Contacting departmental chairs and senior administration officers to share information about study and research opportunities in Germany, including DAAD grants and other organizations' funding programs
- Arranging an informational meeting on campus each academic year for students in their department and/or prospective applicants to DAAD programs
- Providing advice and support to students and researchers interested in pursuing academic activities in Germany in his/her field from any university or institution in the US or Canada – and potentially doing the same for German DAAD grantees currently studying in North America
Please note that this is a voluntary post with no compensation available. However, DAAD will make reimbursements available upon request to cover expenses related to production of promotional materials or for refreshments at meetings or informational events.
At the end of each semester, each Research Ambassador is asked to submit short reports to DAAD New York with any important contacts made and meetings organized.
Are you interested in becoming one of our Research Ambassadors? Our Research Ambassadors
- have completed a total of at least 10 months conducting research in Germany at the doctoral level or above
- are familiar with the current research landscape in Germany for their respective discipline
- are willing and able to attend the DAAD Research Ambassadors Training Workshop in New York City, usually in mid-August.
Scholars and scientists from all disciplines are invited to apply. Applications will be accepted from all "Germany Alumni", including DAAD alumni. German nationals who studied in Germany at the doctoral level but are now living in the US or Canada are also welcome to apply.
Research Ambassador terms are for two academic years, and can be renewed. Travel arrangements for the Research Ambassadors Training Workshop in August are covered by DAAD.
To download the application, download the form from the box on the right. Applications must be received by May 15, 2019 at email@example.com.
Meet our current Research Ambassadors!
Click here for the current Research Ambassador profiles and an interactive map to locate a Research Ambassador near you.
For further information, please contact:
Ms. Amra Dumisic
Phone: (212) 758-3223 x211
Download Application Documents
Download the Research Ambassador Application Form here.