DAAD New York regularly offers internships for undergraduate and graduate students in the areas of IT and program management. Occasionally, positions at DAAD and other institutions in the German House (GAIN, University Liaison Offices, GCRI) are also posted here. Check back regularly for the latest vacancies.
GAIN is a joint initiative of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (AvH), the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), the German Research Foundation (DFG) and associated members, including the German Cancer Aid (Deutsche Krebshilfe), German National Academic Foundation (Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes), the German Rectors' Conference, the Fraunhofer Gesellschaft, the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the Leibniz Association and the Max Planck Society.
Responsibilities will include:
- Maintain and grow the network’s membership base among German early-career researchers in North America
- Maintain and grow relationships with the key partners and actors operating in North America (DFG, Alexander von Humboldt, Fraunhofer, Helmholtz, etc.)
- Organize large scale conferences and career fairs as well as a variety of smaller events
- Liaise between the partners and associated members of the initiative as well as the advisory board
Research and produce content for newsletters and website
- Excellent knowledge of science and research institutions in Germany and in the US/Canada
- Master’s degree, PhD preferred
- Leadership skills and experience in managing a small team, events and budgets
- Outstanding communications skills in dealing with diverse groups
- Creativity, flexibility, willingness to travel
- Experience with public speaking
- Ability to think strategically
- Fluency in German and English, including strong writing skills in both languages; native German speaker preferred
- Must be a U.S. citizen or Green Card holder (we cannot sponsor visa)
Salary: USD 75.000 – USD 85.000 depending on experience, plus benefits
Please send resume and cover letter via email to Ms. Solveig Berkman (email@example.com) with the subject line Program Director GAIN.
Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled. An ideal starting date for us would be sometime in October 2017.
Our DAAD regional office in New York is offering an internship in network administration.
We are seeking Information Technology majors who are nearing the end of their studies or IT-graduate students. The internship will take place in New York City in a Windows environment of approx. 30 users.
This is an excellent opportunity for an IT student to gain hands-on experience in network administration in an international setting. Working directly with our information officer, the IT intern will be involved in IT-related projects and will assist our team with IT issues. These range from infrastructure maintenance (network/server administration) to occasional troubleshooting and help desk tasks.
- Knowledge of network administration functions, including servers and mail servers
- Familiarity with various Microsoft products, including operating systems (Win XP, Win 7, Win Server)
- Good aptitude with user applications, especially internet browsers, MS Office Suite (2010, 2013), Adobe
- Experience with security products, data storage and backup, VPN
- Some background in working with hardware and peripherals is helpful
- Strong problem solving skills, good at prioritizing
- Ability to work well with others
- German language skills
- A supportive work environment in our office located in the German Consulate in New York
- An internship stipend of $750/month
Starting date: September 1, 2017 (the starting date is slightly flexible). The internship would last for six months. We also consider applications for a one-year internship.
Please send your CV and cover letter to Ms. Solveig Berkman firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: April 30, 2017.
Feel free to reach out to Ms. Solveig Berkman at berkman(at)daad.org should you have any questions. Please also send your application materials (CV and cover letter) to Ms. Solveig Berkman at the address above.