DAAD New York regularly offers internships for undergraduate and graduate students in the areas of IT and program management. Occasionally, positions at DAAD and other institutions in the German House (GAIN, University Liaison Offices, GCRI) are also posted here. Check back regularly for the latest vacancies.
The German Center for Research and Innovation New York (GCRI/DWIH) is seeking a full-time Program Coordinator.
Anticipated starting date: October 1st, 2017.
The initial contract will be issued for two years with the possibility of renewal.
The Program Coordinator will work closely together with the Executive Director of the GCRI and will be responsible for developing and managing events in accordance with GCRI’s primary goals which include:
- Presenting Germany to the North American market as a land of research and innovation
- Enhancing the dialogue between academia and industry in Germany and North America
- Creating a forum for the initiation and enhancement of transatlantic research projects
- Providing an information platform for the German research and innovation landscape
Salary range: USD 82K – 95K depending on experience, plus health and retirement benefits.
- Excellent knowledge of science and research institutions in Germany and in the US/Canada
- Master’s degree, PhD preferred
- Leadership skills and experience in managing a small team, events and budgets
- Outstanding communications skills in dealing with diverse groups
- Creativity, flexibility, willingness to travel and occasional work during evenings
- Experience with public speaking
- Ability to think strategically
- Fluency in English and German, including strong writing skills in both languages
- Must be a U.S. citizen or Green Card holder (we cannot sponsor a visa)
Application deadline: August 21, 2017.
About the GCRI: Under leadership of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), GCRI receives its funding from the German Auswärtiges Amt (German Federal Foreign Office). GCRI New York is one of five German Houses of Science and Innovation (DWIHs) worldwide and is part of the German government's Strategy for the Internationalization of Science and Research.
Please e-mail your resume and cover letter with the subject line “Program Coordinator GCRI” to:
Ms. Solveig Berkman at berkman(at)daad.org
No phone calls please.
Our DAAD regional office in New York is offering an internship in network administration.
We are seeking Information Technology majors who are nearing the end of their studies or IT-graduate students. The internship will take place in New York City in a Windows environment of approx. 30 users.
This is an excellent opportunity for an IT student to gain hands-on experience in network administration in an international setting. Working directly with our information officer, the IT intern will be involved in IT-related projects and will assist our team with IT issues. These range from infrastructure maintenance (network/server administration) to occasional troubleshooting and help desk tasks.
- Knowledge of network administration functions, including servers and mail servers
- Familiarity with various Microsoft products, including operating systems (Win XP, Win 7, Win Server)
- Good aptitude with user applications, especially internet browsers, MS Office Suite (2010, 2013), Adobe
- Experience with security products, data storage and backup, VPN
- Some background in working with hardware and peripherals is helpful
- Strong problem solving skills, good at prioritizing
- Ability to work well with others
- German language skills
- A supportive work environment in our office located in the German Consulate in New York
- An internship stipend of $750/month
Starting date: September 1, 2017 (the starting date is slightly flexible). The internship would last for six months. We also consider applications for a one-year internship.
Please send your CV and cover letter to Ms. Solveig Berkman firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: April 30, 2017.
Feel free to reach out to Ms. Solveig Berkman at berkman(at)daad.org should you have any questions. Please also send your application materials (CV and cover letter) to Ms. Solveig Berkman at the address above.