Enter the 2023 DAAD Contest!
For this year’s contest, we’re asking you to #PictureYourselfInGermany! If you could go anywhere in Germany, where would you go? What would you do? And who would join you?
Update: The submission period has ended as of 5:00pm EDT on May 12. Thank you to everyone who submitted their art! Winners will be announced in early June.
Using the 2D visual artistic medium of your choice, #PictureYourselfInGermany by depicting a scene, either a self-portrait or POV, of your dream trip to Germany! Entries may be made digitally or using traditional media. Life will imitate art for the grand prize winner, who will win free round-trip airfare to anywhere in Germany!
To participate in the 2023 Annual DAAD Contest, submit your self-portrait as a .jpg or .png file to daad.newyork (at) daad.de. If your project is made with a non-digital medium, please submit a high-definition photo of your work. Include a description (maximum of five sentences) describing why you chose this scene to #PictureYourselfInGermany.
A panel of judges will select the top three entries based on their originality, creativity, storytelling, and artistic execution. First prize will win roundtrip airfare to anywhere in Germany (up to US$1,700), second prize will receive a free language course at the Goethe-Institut (online or in person), and third prize will receive a digital drawing tablet.
Entries that meet the guidelines below will have the chance to be featured on the DAAD USA and DAAD Canada websites and in our respective Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter feeds. After the submission deadline, our selection committee will select the top three entries, which will then be posted to our Instagram channel, @daad.usa.
Throughout the contest, feel free to use the hashtag #PictureYourselfInGermany to share your entries with friends, family, and DAAD USA’s and DAAD Canada’s followers.
Entry period: Submit your art between 12:00pm (EDT) on April 3 and 5:00pm (EDT) on May 12, 2023.
- To participate, you must be 18 years or older and enrolled as a full-time student in a university degree program in the U.S. or Canada.
- All submissions must include an original photo and description (max. five sentences). AI-generated art is not allowed. Plagiarized works will be disqualified.
- Maximum file size for photo uploads is 8 MB.
- Photos must be sent as a .jpg or .png file to daad.newyork (at) daad.de
- Horizontal, vertical, or square photos are acceptable; panorama images are not.
- Do not submit artwork that feature inappropriate content or copyrighted material.
First prize: Round-trip airfare to Germany (up to $1700)
Second prize: A free German language course at the Goethe-Institut (online or in person)
Third prize: A digital drawing tablet