Know your heart!
The English-language Master’s programme in MSc Medical Sciences – Cardiovascular Research has been designed as a preparatory year for a PhD in the field of cardiovascular research.
- International, interdisciplinary and integrative
- Pre-PhD programme: Combined experimental and theoretical training in cardiovascular science, rewarded with an MSc degree
- Student-centric teaching and learning concept with small cohort (6 per year!)
- State-of-the-art cardiovascular research and medical facilities at one of Germany’s top universities
- Historic university town with vibrant student life and exceptional recreational opportunities
The curriculum combines a thorough education in general aspects of the structure and function of the cardiovascular system with clinical insights into the diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular diseases, as well as exposure to ‘wet- and dry-lab’ basic and clinical work. In the first semester, theoretical and clinical contents as well as interdisciplinary competences are taught, while the second semester focuses on the independent preparation of a Master’s thesis and thus on the various aspects of scientific work.
Module components cover theoretical and practical aspects, with a strong focus on hands-on training: for example the derivation and evaluation of one’s own stress electrocardiogram, single cardiomyocyte contraction and action potential measurements, histological examination of the healthy and diseased heart and observing open-chest surgery.
In addition to knowledge acquisition, the course offers a broad-based introduction to prerequisites, opportunities, and consequences of medical activity and familiarizes students with the ethical dimension of medical practice and research.
Criteria for admission:
– MSc or a 4-year hons. BSc [240 ECTS] or equivalent degree with a grade point average of at least 2.0 in life sciences, natural sciences, bio-/ engineering, mathematics, computer sciences, human/ veterinary medicine, physiological sciences, or similar subject.
– proficiency of English language, equivalent to at least level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
Teaching language: English
Location: Freiburg, Germany
Application deadline: March 31st 2023 for a start in September 2023
Course website: https://www.msc-medsci.uni-freiburg.de/