Here you can find information on various kinds of DAAD funding for students, graduates and postdocs as well as on funding offered by other selected organisations.
Study Scholarships for Graduates of All Disciplines • DAAD
Who can apply?
- Excellently-qualified graduates who have completed a first degree (Bachelor, Diplom or comparable academic degree) at the latest by the time they commence their scholarship-supported study programme.
- For applicants from artistic disciplines and the field of architecture, the DAAD offers subject-specific scholarship programmes.
What can be funded?
- Participation in a postgraduate programme after a first undergraduate course of study for the purpose of technical or scientific specialisation
- Specifically, the following is supported:
a postgraduate or Master's degree programme completed at a state or state-recognised university in Germany
the first or second year of study at a state or state-recognised German university as part of a postgraduate or Master's degree programme completed in the home country or in another foreign country; recognition of the academic achievements rendered in Germany must be guaranteed. The standard period of study of the postgraduate or Master's degree programme should not be exceeded as a result of the study year in Germany.
Duration of the funding
- between 10 and 24 months depending on the length of the chosen study programme
- The scholarships are awarded for the duration of the standard period of study for the chosen study programme (up to a maximum of 24 months). To receive further funding after the first year of study for 2-year courses, proof of academic achievements thus far should indicate that the study programme can be successfully completed within the standard period of study.
- Applicants who are already in Germany in the first academic year of a 2-year postgraduate or Master's programme at the time of their application may apply for a scholarship for the second year of study. In this case, it is not possible to extend the scholarship.
- usually one academic year; an extension is not possible.
- The scholarship usually begins on 1st October, or earlier if the student takes a language course prior to the study programme.
- Scholarship payments of 750 euros a month
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
- Travel allowance, unless these expenses are covered by the home country or another source of funding
- One-off study allowance
- Monthly rent subsidy
- Monthly allowance for accompanying members of family
To enable scholarship holders to learn German in preparation for their stay in the country, DAAD offers the following services:
- Payment of course fees for the online language course "Deutsch-Uni Online (DUO)" (www.deutsch-uni.com) for six months after receipt of the Scholarship Award Letter
- if necessary: Language course (2, 4 or 6 months) before the start of the study visit; the DAAD decides whether to fund participation and for how long depending on German language skills and project. Participation in a language course is compulsory if the study programme is taught in German.
- Allowance for a personally chosen German language course during the scholarship period
- Reimbursement of the fees for the TestDaF test which has either been taken in the home country after receipt of the Scholarship Award Letter or in Germany before the end of the funding period
- As an alternative to the TestDaF for scholarship holders who have taken a language course beforehand: the fee for a DSH examination taken during the scholarship period may be reimbursed.
The most important selection criteria are:
- academic achievements
- convincing academic and personal reasons for the planned study project in Germany