Here you can find information on various kinds of DAAD funding for students, graduates and postdocs as well as on funding offered by other selected organisations.
Research Grants – Cotutelle Doctoral Programmes • DAAD
The aim of this programme is to promote binational doctoral degrees at the home university and at a university in Germany according to the so-called "cotutelle" procedure. The prerequisite is an individual agreement between the participating universities about the doctoral programme which is to be supervised.
Who can apply?
What can be funded?
Duration of the funding
- Maximum of 18 months; the grant may also be used within the framework of several shorter stays within a period of three consecutive years. The length of the grant is decided by a selection committee and depends on the project in question and the applicant's work schedule
- Applicants should outline how they plan to divide their time between Germany and the home university in a work and time schedule in their application.
- Grants are initially awarded for a maximum of twelve months. Extensions depend on achievements rendered in the first year.
- During stays at their home university, the grant is interrupted.
- Monthly payments for doctoral candidates during the stay in Germany: 1,200 euros
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
- Travel allowance, unless these expenses are covered by the home country or another source of funding
- One-off research allowance
- Travel and accommodation expenses according to the German Federal Travel Expenses Law for supervising university teachers for one trip of up to 10 days
- undertaken by the foreign university teacher to Germany to monitor progress
- undertaken by the German university teacher to the home university of the scholarship holder to take part in final examinations.
The nature of the trips should be specified in the work and time schedule submitted with the application.
- monthly rent subsidy
- monthly allowance for accompanying members of family
- Payment of course fees for the online language course "Deutsch-Uni Online (DUO)" (www.deutsch-uni.com) for six months after receipt of the Scholarship Award Letter
- if necessary: Language course (2, 4 or 6 months) before the start of the research stay; the DAAD decides whether to fund the grant holder's participation and for how long depending on language skills and project. If a language course scholarship is granted and the working language at the host institute is German, participation is compulsory.
- Allowance for a personally chosen German language course during the grant period
- Reimbursement of the fees for the TestDaF test which has either been taken in the home country after receipt of the Scholarship Award Letter or in Germany before the end of the funding period
- As an alternative to the TestDaF for scholarship holders who have taken a language course beforehand: the fee for a DSH examination taken during the scholarship period may be reimbursed.
The most important selection criteria:
- a convincing and well-planned research project or course of continuing education
- academic achievements