The programme focuses on academics researching the emergence of political movements in the Islamic world on a national or transnational level with regard to the current developments. Historical studies, together with projects in the areas of religious and cultural studies or political science by PhDs and researchers with post-doctoral lecture qualification are encouraged and supported, independent of the candidate's nationality or place of work. The funding is granted to candidates wishing to carry out an independent research project alone. Applications are invited for the funding of research scholarships and research projects. PhD scholarships are granted only in connection with a research project. PhDs receive a scholarship base amount of EUR 2,000 each month, the grant for researchers with a post-doctoral lecture qualification is worth EUR 2,700. There are additional benefits, such as allowances for accompanying children or, i.e., to cover printing costs, if necessary. Please note that income from employment and scholarship income are mutually exclusive. The funding covers a period of one to 24 months.
scholars or scientists holding a doctorate or a post-doctoral lecture qualification addressing the particularities and contexts of cultural and historical environments and relationships. The projects' deliverables should be able to make a contribution to diverse and expert discussions in public and political circles.
There are five key research areas:
- historical and present-day Islamic systems of society and state
- the concept of nation, national movements and nationalism in Islamic civilisation
- Islamic fundamentalism or Islamic emancipation?
- transnational civil society movements in the Islamic world
- Islamic states in the international world system
doctorate or post-doctoral lecture qualification
Number of Scholarships
About 7% of the applicants are granted scholarships.
maximum of two years with the option to extend the funding, if the scholar becomes a parent during the allowance period and is therefore entitled to maternity and/or parental leave
- scholarship base amount per month: EUR 2,000 for post-doctoral researchers and EUR 2,700 for researchers with a post-doctoral lecture qualification
- standard foreign residence allowance per month: EUR 500 for post-doctoral researchers and EUR 675 for researchers with a post-doctoral lecture qualification
- travel allowance: as required
- material costs: as required
- contribution to printing costs, if necessary
- child allowance, if applicable: EUR 300 for scholars with one child, EUR 400 for two children, EUR 500 for three or more children
Income from employment and scholarship income are mutually exclusive.
Please find application forms and further information on the application procedure here
The deadline for application is May 16th, 2018.