DAAD offers grants for one to three months in all academic disciplines to scholars at US and Canadian institutions of higher education to pursue research at universities, libraries, archives, institutes or laboratories in Germany. The aim of this particular program is to support short-term research stays and thus promote the exchange of experience and networking amongst colleagues. Grants are awarded for research and working projects and cannot be used for travel only. Airfare to Germany will not be covered and lecture tours, attendance at conferences or conventions, editorial meetings or extended guest professorships are not funded.
- Please visit Study Visits for Academics - Artists and Architects for research and working projects of university teachers in the following disciplines: Architecture, Fine Art, Film, Design/Visual Communication, Performing Arts, and Music.
- If you are an annual grant alumnus/a please visit our Re-Invitation Program for Former Scholarship Holders. We have additional funding for former one-year DAAD scholarship holders to spend one to three months completing a research or working project at a university or research
Who can apply?
Scholars at US or Canadian universities or research institutions who hold the Ph.D. (or equivalent) and have been working in research or teaching full time for at least two years at the time of application and after receipt of the doctorate are eligible.
- Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States or Canada. German nationals must have been affiliated with a US or Canadian institution in full-time employment for at least ten consecutive years.
- Applicants should possess adequate knowledge of the German language to carry out the proposed research.
- Applicants may not hold a DAAD grant and a grant from another German or German-American organization concurrently for the same project.
- Former recipients of DAAD research grants who wish to apply again may do so after a lapse of at least three years.
- A change of dates for recipients of the Research Grant for University Academics and Scientists is a rare exception granted only in special circumstances.
What can be funded?
- Research projects at state or state-recognized institutions of higher education or non-university research institutes in Germany.
- A research visit can also take place at several host institutions.
- Funding may only be claimed once within three years.
- Grants are awarded for research projects and cannot be used for travel only. Airfare to Germany will not be covered. Lecture tours, attendance at conferences or conventions, editorial meetings or extended guest professorships are not funded.
Duration of the funding
- One to three months; the length of the grant is decided by a selection committee and depends on the project in question and the applicant's work schedule.
- The grant is non-renewable.
Monthly payments of EUR 2,000 for lecturers and assistant professors and EUR 2,150 for associate professors and full professors.
All DAAD Grantees receive mandatory health insurance through DAAD. The monthly contribution to the insurance of EUR 145 is deducted from the stipend and cannot be waived.
The application procedure occurs online through the DAAD Portal. You are also required to send 1 paper copy of the "Application Summary" (PDF file), which is generated in the DAAD Portal after the online application procedure has been completed, by mail to the application address (see below). Access to the DAAD Portal opens about 6 weeks before the application deadline.
A complete application is comprised of the following mandatory documents. Please upload all documents in PDF format to the DAAD Portal.
Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD Portal:
- Online application form for funding program „Research Stays for University Academics and Scientists, 2017" (funding program no. 57314018) - to be downloaded from the after registering
- Curriculum vitae (max. 3 pages)
- List of academic publications (max. 3 pages)
- Comprehensive statement about research/ working project (max. 10 pages)
- Time schedule and itinerary (host institutes/ academic hosts) of the planned research stay. Please also specify any travel plans within Germany in the framework of your research.
- Letter from host which refers to the applicant's proposal and guarantees that a workplace will be provided The invitation letter should be a PDF document that can be uploaded to the portal by the applicant.
To be submitted by mail:
One paper copy of the "Application Summary", which is generated in the portal in PDF format and can be printed out after the online application procedure is completed .Please submit your documents in the order in which they are listed above (1-6) and do not staple any of the application materials. Send your documents to:
DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service)
Research Stays for University Academics and Scientists
871 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017
- Your application is only valid if you submit all the required documents both to the DAAD Portal and by mail. The postmark date serves as proof that the paper application has been submitted on time.
- Late or incomplete applications cannot be considered. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their applications are complete. The respective application deadline applies to both the online application and to the submission of the “Application Summary” by mail (the postmark date is valid).
After submitting your application:
- As soon as you have submitted your application online, you will automatically receive confirmation that your application has been successfully submitted and an e-mail informing you that a message has been sent to you via the portal’s messaging system. The message confirms that your application has been received.
- Please do not call or email to inquire whether your online or paper application materials have been received. Within 6-8 weeks after the application deadline, you will receive an email to confirm the receipt of your complete application. You may submit your application in advance of the deadline date, but it will not be processed until after the deadline.
- Application materials will not be returned. The application documents remain with the DAAD. Data relating to applicants is saved by the DAAD in accordance with the German Federal Data Protection Act insofar as this data is needed to process the application.
An independent selection committee reviews applications. The most important selection criteria are:
- Academic achievements and recent publications which must be documented in the curriculum vitae and a list of publications.
- A convincing and well-planned research/ working project.
We expect results for the October deadline at the end of January. Please note that no reasons for decisions will be given.
- Application Period
- December 1st, 2016 to May 15th, 2017
The portal closes at 11:59pm Central European Time (5:59pm EST, 4:59pm CST, 3:59pm MST, 2:59pm PST) on the deadline date May 15th, 2017; as the electronic application system shuts down automatically, applicants are advised to start the online application at least one week before the closing date.
There are two application deadlines per year.
Our October deadline is for research stays starting between April 1st and September 30th of the following year.
Our May deadline is for research stays starting between October 1st and March 31st of the following year.
Video: How to apply
If you have questions about the program, please contact Ms. Stefanie Gruber-Sliva at grubersliva(at)daad.org.
For technical problems with your online application, please send an e-mail to portal(at)daad.de. Please note that DAAD has only recently moved its application process online. We appreciate your patience and cooperation during this transition.
How to apply via the DAAD Portal
Please click here to access the DAAD Portal.
- Register in the DAAD Portal (Click here for notes on how to register.)
- Apply online in the DAAD Portal (Click here for notes on how to apply or check out the video above.)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- Scan paper documents and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the required appendices to the portal in PDF format.
- Upload your "Application Summary", which has been generated in the DAAD Portal.
- Send application documents by mail: Submit 1 copy of the printed "Application Summary" by regular mail. Please do not enclose any other documents that have not been uploaded to the portal with the printed "Application Summary".
Please keep a copy of the completed application for your records.