Our 'In Profile' section features the people that make our DAAD network what is it: a vast and global net of connections between DAAD award winners, ambassadors, alumni, grant holders, future applicants - all united by their love for study and research abroad and all things German.
Meet Dr. Yasemin Yildiz, recipient of the 2016 DAAD Prize for Distinguished Scholarship in German and European Studies which is awarded every year by the American Institute for Contemporary German Studies (AICGS). Yasemin Yildiz is Associate Professor of German and Comparative Literature at UCLA. Through her research, she frequently engages with contemporary issues, and publishes on Islam, gender, migration, and minority discourses.
We asked Yasemin a few question about her work and experience in Germany:
- When did you know that you wanted to be a German Studies professor?
When I came to New York as an exchange student in a graduate program. Distance can be very clarifying.
- What are you currently working on?
A co-authored book on migration and memory. It specifically looks at the innovative memory work of Turkish-German writers, artists, and activists relating to Nazism, the Holocaust, and World War II.
- What was the most ‘German’ experience you have had?
Hm, that’s a tough one. Maybe hosting a “Spieleabend” (game night) with friends the night the Berlin Wall fell.
- What advice would you give to students who are thinking of studying abroad in Germany?
Do it. Every one of my students who went there had a rewarding experience and benefited from their time there in so many ways, professionally and personally.
- Which pictures, plants or unusual objects are there in your office? A bike bell in the colors of the Werder Bremen soccer club. I grew up in Bremen, so it’s a fun reminder of that.
- Can you cook a German meal without a recipe? If so, which one?
Bauernfrühstück (home fries with eggs).
- Alumni (6)
- Call for Applications (6)
- Contest (4)
- Events (14)
- Webinars (2)
- General (7)
- German Culture (3)
- German Studies (2)
- Higher Education Germany (17)
- In Profile (3)
- Internship (3)
- Job Opportunities (6)
- Learn German (4)
- News from DAAD USA (18)
- Refugees (1)
- Research Ambassadors (2)
- Research Funding (10)
- Scholarships (8)
- Study in Germany (8)