1. Check if your University is a DAAD Partner University
- at a DAAD Partner University: contact the DAAD campus coordinator, and submit your application to them; there may be an earlier internal deadline date. (if you miss your internal deadline date, you may alternatively submit directly to DAAD New York) Please note this doesn’t apply to performing/visual artists.
Find out more: Study Scholarships for Graduates of All Disciplines
Deadline : November 4, 2015 (Usually runs from October of the following year)
- The portal closes at 11 PM Central European Time (5 PM EST/4PM CST/3PM MTN/2PM PST) on the deadline date.
- Please ensure that we receive the paper application no later than a week after the closing date (one-sided, not stapled). Your application is only complete when we have received both your electronic application and the paper version.
- Results will be announced Mid-April.
2. Starting your application
- In order to register with the DAAD online portal to start your application, please go to the scholarship database and look for the program you wish to apply for. Select your status, your country of origin (please note that country of origin is in fact the country in which you are living and from where you are applying.
- If you are not a citizen of the United States or Canada, it is usually required that your last degree was obtained in the US/Canada, or you will have received a degree here before your scholarship starts.
- For clear instructions please refer to this applicant checklist
- Manual for the personal funding section of the DAAD Portal can be downloaded : manual for personal funding .
- If you seek technical support with the registration or the online application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The video below explains how to navigate the portal:
3. Sending in your application
- 3 sets of copies of the “Application Summary”, which is generated by the portal in PDF format.
- One reference letter (three copies - one for each copy of the application) from a university teacher in a sealed envelope with original signature AND have your reference send the letter via email to email@example.com. Please ensure that your reference emails a scan of the original which includes his/her signature.
- Please ensure we receive the paper application no later than a week after the closing date(one-sided, not stapled). You may submit your application in advanced of the deadline date, but it will not be processed until after the deadline to assure fairness to all applicants.
- Mail your application to:
DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service)
871 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017
- Please note that incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.
4. After you submit your application
- Confirmation of receipt: DO NOT CALL OR EMAIL to inquire whether your application has been received. Within 6-8 weeks after the deadline, you will receive an email to confirm the receipt of your application.
- Application decisions will not be accompanied by a justification.
- Application forms and all supporting material remain with DAAD. Personal data of applicants and grantees will be stored electronically in DAAD’s computer files only to the extent necessary for the administration of the applications and scholarships in accordance with the German Federal Data Protection Act. Data will be provided to the respective International Student Office (Akademisches Auslandsamt) for successful applicants when necessary to administer the scholarship and provide the scholarship holder with guidance services. Applications of unsuccessful candidates will be destroyed after one year.