Highly qualified graduating seniors (fourth or final year of undergraduate students in Canada) or those who have received an undergraduate degree of all disciplines may apply for the DAAD Study Scholarship for a year of independent study or a full master's degree program at a German university. For applicants in artistic fields, see Study Scholarship for Visual and Performing Arts.
|Terms of Award|
|Frequently Asked Questions|
- at a DAAD partner university, contact the DAAD campus coordinator, and submit your application to them; there may be an earlier internal deadline date. (if you miss your internal deadline date, you may alternatively submit directly to DAAD New York)
- not at a DAAD Partner University, send your application directly to the DAAD New York office.
Components of the application
1) Application Form - Fill out the online application form. Answer all questions on the form completely. Some answers don’t appear on the print out but will be in our system in their entirety. Do not forget to sign the printout of your application. No pictures required.
Please disregard the last page of the application print out, "Information regarding your application,” it does not apply to North Americans. You also do not need to submit it.
2) Curriculum vitae or résumé - in chronological/tabular form. Narrative CVs are not acceptable. Your name should appear on each page.
4) Letter of Recommendation - Submit two original letters of recommendation printed on university letterhead, from professors at North American institutions in your field of study. Please request that your professor include three photocopies with the original letter in a sealed envelope.
The following form gives a general outline of the points that selection committees expect www.daad.de/medien/deutschland/stipendien/formulare/recommendation.pdf (referred to as “Reports on scholarship applications”). Referees may use it as an alternative to a letter of recommendation.
5) Evidence of Contact with a German Institution - E-mails can be accepted as evidence of contact.
6) DAAD language evaluation form (Sprachzeugnis) (click here to download) – If you have any knowledge of German, submit this document signed by a faculty member of the German Department at your institution. If you have no knowledge of German and your research/study language in Germany is in English, be sure to submit this certificate anyway, indicating that your research/study language is in English, and write at the top "No knowledge of German." (Please note German is not a requirement for the Study Scholarship)
Collate each set in the following order. DO NOT staple:
1. Signed Application Form
DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service)